The official residence of the President of the Philippines is Malacañang Palace, which is a series of Spanish colonial and neo-classical buildings situated in the San Miguel district of Manila. Originally built in the mid-18th century, it has been extensively enlarged and refurbished throughout its history, as it has been seized several times during protests and coup attempts.
Today the Malacañang Palace is open to the public as a museum, with visitors entering through the Entrance Hall made from beige Philippine marble. From here a mirrored passage leads towards the Heroes Hall which is adorned in busts of national heroes, while a Grand Staircase made from Philippine hardwood leads up towards the impressive Reception Hall with its three large Czech chandeliers. Official portraits of the Presidents of the Philippines are featured on the walls, while an elaborate ceiling carved by Isabelo Tampingco rises above. The largest room in the palace is the adjacent Ceremonial Hall where state dinners and functions are held, while the State Dining Room is reserved for lavish meals with official visitors. The official “Office of the President” is the Presidential Study which exhibits the same desk used since Quezon’s reign in 1935, while the Music Room is where concerts featuring famous Filipino and international musicians were held. The remainder of Malacañang Palace’s rooms is comprised of private quarters and bedrooms, with it being somewhat of a tradition that the incoming president doesn’t select the same bedroom as his predecessor. Malacañang Palace was extensively refurbished during the reign of President Ferdinand Marcos who lived there with his wife, Imelda, from 1965 to 1986. When he was overthrown during the People Power Revolution in 1986, the excesses of their lifestyle within the palace were revealed to the world as protesters flooded into the grounds.
Malacañang Palace is situated on the northern banks of the Pasig River, a couple of kilometres from the Intramuros district and Rizal Park. It’s a short walk south from Legarda Station and the Mendiola jeepney stop which are both located near the intersection of these two major thoroughfares.
In 1750 Don Luis Rocha built a summer house along the banks of the Pasig River, which was later purchased by the government as a summer residence for the Spanish Governor-General. It was occupied by American Military and Civil Governors under US rule, before becoming the presidential residence for the Philippines following independence.